Boy's mother and her boyfriend charged with capital murder in 5-year-old's death
by Rachael Brown
rbrown@annistonstar.com
Jul 30, 2013 | 33398 views |  0 comments | 62 62 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A cross stood Tuesday morning outside the home of a 5-year-old boy who died Friday. (Photo by Bill Wilson/The Anniston Star)
A cross stood Tuesday morning outside the home of a 5-year-old boy who died Friday. (Photo by Bill Wilson/The Anniston Star)
slideshow
Gregory Caver
Gregory Caver
slideshow
India Kimble, left, and Vonta Montrell McClellan
India Kimble, left, and Vonta Montrell McClellan
slideshow
A mother and her boyfriend were charged today with capital murder in the death of a 5-year-old Anniston boy last Friday.

Gregory Caver’s death was ruled a homicide after a preliminary autopsy report was released from the Department of Forensic Sciences in Huntsville, according to a press release sent by Anniston police Capt. Allen George.

Caver’s mother, India Kimble, 28, was apprehended by U.S. Marshals this afternoon in Mobile and will be brought back to Anniston by Wednesday, the release said.

Kimble’s boyfriend, Vonta Montrell McClellan, 26, was charged Monday with abusing his 7-year-old daughter at the same time Caver was abused. McClellan’s capital murder warrant was served this afternoon in the Anniston City Jail, where he’s being held on a charge of child abuse, with bond set at $500,000 cash, George wrote.

Police received a call on Friday to a home on the 2400 block of Wilmer Avenue where Caver was having difficulty breathing. Caver was taken to Stringfellow Memorial Hospital before police arrived, the release said. Caver was later airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Birmingham where he died Friday afternoon.

George said investigators interviewed Kimble and McClellan, but the two were released pending the results of Caver’s autopsy.

Caver and the 7-year-old girl were beaten with a belt, George said. The captain said this afternoon he would not release details surrounding the abuse.

Kimble and McClellan were charged with capital murder, the release stated, because they caused the death of a child under the age of 14.

The boy’s father, Robert Fuller, who lives in Mobile, said this afternoon he felt justice was served when he learned Kimble was charged in the death of their son.

The father said Kimble “took a piece” of him.

“I don’t even have a heart in my chest no more,” he said.

Fuller said Kimble could have prevented the boy’s death. He said he believes she was involved by allowing the abuse to happen.

“How can you do something like that? How can you let someone beat your child like that?” he asked.

Fuller described his 5-year-old son as a respectful child who always had a smile on his face.

“The heart he had and the joy he brought to everyone … my son didn’t deserve that,” Fuller said.

Fuller told The Star on Monday that he’d only heard bits and pieces of the story of what happened to his 5-year-old son.

Fuller said the Department of Human Resources told him Caver had been severely beaten and had a seizure. The boy also suffered from internal bleeding and an injury to one of his eyes.

Fuller said he’d spoken to Kimble, and believes there’s more to the story than she told him.

“What she’s saying is not adding up,” he said.

Fuller said he was in Mobile when he got a call from a family member that his son was going to a Birmingham hospital. The father said he left work and was gathering things to leave town, when he received another call that his son had died.

Fuller said he didn’t have much contact with Caver and his two daughters, who lived with Kimble on Wilmer Avenue. In fact, Fuller said, he didn’t even know the children and Kimble lived in Anniston.

“I had no address or phone number. She called me from a blocked number so I couldn’t call and ask how my children were,” he said.

The man said he had no idea the children could have been living in an unsafe environment. He said he only had brief conversations with the kids under their mother’s supervision.

Fuller said he was cooperating with police and DHR investigations and hoped to bring his two daughters home with him to Mobile by the end of the week. The 5-year-old’s funeral is scheduled for Saturday in Mobile, the father said.

George said he wanted to thank the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force’s Birmingham and Mobile Offices for apprehending Kimble.

Staff Writer Rachael Brown: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RBrown_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marketplace